- PCOD is polycystic ovarian disease in which you develop multiple no of follicles.
- Sex hormones get disturbed .Normally a little amount of androgens are produced by ovaries. But in PCOD increased amount of androgens are produced resulting in acne (pimples) and hirsuitism (abnormal hair growth over chin, face and chest).Thinning of scalp hair is also there.
- Most disturbing is irregular periods for teenagers, that may lead to depression.
- After marriage you may suffer infertility (inability to produce children) as your ovaries may not be producing eggs.
- In long term complications there may be your risk of diabetes, high blood pressure.
- This may run in families.
- Treatment of PCOD is simple as well as very difficult.
- Your doctor will ask you detailed history, do complete body examination and will order few tests like ultrasound, complete blood count, blood sugar, thyroid hormones and sex hormones.
- Healthy living (regular exercise, meditation, yoga and healthy eating) is key to success of treatment to PCOD.
- Eat lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans and whole grains to limit saturated fats and control weight.
- In lean PCOD, do some exercise and meditation. Walking is a very good exercise that everyone can afford.
- Your doctor may prescribe you few medicines like Oral contraceptive pills to regulate your periods, metformin to control sugar and some multivitamins.
- For facial hair you can go for cosmetic treatment.
For further queries visit http://www.drarchanabharti.com