“What every woman should know about Stress Urinary Incontinence”
- Leakage of urine is called as urinary incontinence.
- If urine leaks while coughing, sneezing, laughing or lifting heavy weight, it is stress urinary incontinence.
- The foremost thing is that you should not be embarrassed about it and feel isolated. You are not the only one living with it. One out of four women has some form of urinary incontinence.
- Do not decrease the quantity of liquids that you consume daily. This will not decrease the urinary leak. In fact, by doing this, you increase your chances of acquiring urinary tract infection.
- You should not take it as just part of ageing process and keep living a poor quality of life.
- The problem is treatable.
- If the problem is mild i.e. if you leak just a few drops of urine, you might get benefitted by doing Kegel’s exercises.
- Kegel’s exercises can be started by first identifying the pelvic floor muscles. You can stop urination in midstream and feel for the muscles which contract at that time.
- You need to strengthen these muscles. Initially, start holding the contractions for a few seconds and then relax. Do it a few times.
- Perfect your technique and try to hold the contractions for ten seconds. Practice doing ten sets three times a day.
- Do not contract your abdominal or thigh muscles while doing the Kegel’s exercises.
- Also, do not make it a habit to stop urination midstream as it can lead to incomplete urinary bladder emptying and hence urinary tract infections
- If the problem is severe, you will require surgery. In the era of tension free vaginal tapes, the results are very promising.
“ STAY AWARE & ENJOY A QUALITY LIFE ”
For queries visit http://www.drarchanabharti.com